Loading...
EuropeWorld

Death Toll in London Terror Attack Rises to 8 After Body is Pulled From Thames River

The death toll from Saturday’s terrorist attack in London has risen to eight, the city’s Metropolitan Police said Wednesday. The announcement comes shortly after authorities recovered a body from the Thames River in east London.

In a statement about the recovery of the body Tuesday, police said they haven’t formally identified the victim — though they asked for information about 45-year-old Xavier Thomas, a French national who has been missing since Saturday. The BBC reports that Thomas was last seen on London Bridge walking with his girlfriend, who was seriously injured in the violence.

As the Two-Way has reported, three attackers opened their assault on London Bridge by ramming pedestrians, then left the vehicle on foot and began stabbing people in nearby Borough Market. Police shot and killed all three.

NHS England, the British health authority, said Wednesday that of the dozens of victims hospitalized after the attack, 10 people remain in critical condition.

Meanwhile, the Spanish government has confirmed that Ignacio Echeverría, 39, was killed in Saturday’s attack. Officials there had been upset at how long it took U.K. authorities to offer information on the Spanish national, who had been missing since the rampage.

“We’re pushing the British authorities because, frankly, this isn’t the kind of thing that can go on and on,” Spanish Foreign Minister Alfonso Dastis told the news agency Efe earlier in the week, according to The Guardian.

Click here to read more.

NPR
COLIN DWYER

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *